RULES AND REGULATIONS FOR THE SHORT FILM COMPETITION “IN THE HEART OF EUROPE”
at the International Film Festival FEBIOFEST BRATISLAVA
Rules and Regulations
There are 20 short films (fiction/documentary/animated/experimental) selected for the “IN THE HEART OF EUROPE” competition. All films must follow the following:
- the maximum length of 30 minutes
- the films can not be older than two years at the time of the festival (e.g.for the 2021 edition we accept films finished in 2020 and 2019)
- the film has to have a majority producer from one selected country - Slovakia, Hungary, Czechia, Poland, Austria and Ukraine following the European Convention on Cinematographic Co-Production
- the countries do not have to have an equal proportion of represented films
- the films which were part of previous editions of IFF FEBIOFEST are not eligible to enter
- there are no specific premiere status requirements for selected films
Pre-selection of the films and the submission deadline
The films are selected by the selection committee, comprised of the three programming members from our team. Respected film professionals consult the selection throughout the process. Guarantors for the specific sectors within the audio-visual industry ensure the objectivity of our film selection in terms of quality and eligibility for selection in the final programme. The projects will receive notification of their selection by 20th of January.
Criteria for the film selection
IN THE HEART OF EUROPE section searches for audio-visual works with outstanding quality and exceptional artistic value. No film genre, theme, topic or method is discriminated. The selection committee is not looking for equal representation of fiction, documentary, animated and experimental works in the programme. Instead, the festival hopes to present the best of current film production in the region.
The festival jury is comprised of three international members. The jury is from countries other than those competing, to ensure objectivity in selecting the winner. Programming director names the jury members each year. The participation of one juror more than once is prohibited. The jurors are representatives of film festivals, sales agents, filmmakers, film critics or other renowned professionals with significant experience in short films. Anyone with a conflict of interests is ruled out as a jury member.
The festival award and the announcement of the winner
IN THE HEART OF EUROPE competition the main prize is monetary prize of 3 000 EUR. The award is given to the director of the winning film by the international jury. The jurors announce the competition results at the closing gala of the festival in Bratislava. The international jury has the opportunity to give up to two “special mentions” for the audiovisual works of the outstanding cinematic quality.
Festival president IFF FEBIOFEST BRATISLAVA
September 2020, Bratislava